In the Village Record of August 14, 1840, a local cabinetmaker named Daniel Nields advertised ready-made coffins and undertaking.
In 1858, he moved the business to 22 South High Street, where he operated an extensive “Cabinetmaking and Undertaking Business”. In 1860, William Massey took over the business for two years. Until in 1862 Daniel Nields became proprietor and advertised that he had “Fashionable hearses with Ice Boxes and Coolers”.
At the death of Daniel Nields in 1872, his son, Theodore, ran the family business for the next 11 years. Thereafter, Theodore’s widow, Clara Oram Nields, continued it's operations until 1885. John Thorp then purchased the business and moved it across the street to 21 South High. As the business continued, cabinetmaking diminished and funeral directing became more specialized.
In 1928, the business was moved to 101 South Church Street. In 1930, Harold A. Famous purchased the business and continued to operate it until his death in 1961. Sarah Famous, the widow of Harold, operated the business for a number of years thereafter.
In 1966, Joseph E. Boyd, Jr. purchased the funeral home and eventually renamed the business to Boyd Funeral Home, Inc. In 1985, his son Robert S. Boyd joined him in business and continued its operations for the next twenty years.
In January of 2006, the Boyd’s merged and relocated their business to 410 North Church Street with DellaVecchia, Reilly & Smith Funeral Home, Inc. to become DellaVecchia, Reilly, Smith & Boyd Funeral Home, Inc.